February 27, 2009

Updated brownies recipe

A group of friends and I have recently started the tradition of Sunday Crafternoons: lots of tea, yarn (everyone I know is really into fiber; my cat loves it), and of course homemade baked goods. Which for me means brownies, because what could possibly be better than chocolate on a Sunday afternoon?

I updated my brownie recipe with some minor tweaks that I think make it even better. The brown sugar adds a hint of caramel, and the cocoa nibs* are a great crunchy replacement for nuts.

Crafternoon Brownies

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
3 eggs
3/4 cup flour (I love Hodgson Mills naturally white flour)
handful cocoa nibs

* Preheat the oven to 375 F. Lightly rub a 9" x 9" glass baking dish with butter (the butter wrapper is great for this purpose.)

* Beat together the butter, sugars, cocoa, cinnamon, ancho chili, and vanilla. Beat in the eggs. Stir in the flour. The batter should be pretty thick.

* Scrape the batter into the baking dish, and shake to evenly distribute the batter. Sprinkle a handful of cocoa nibs over the top of the batter.

* Bake brownies for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

* Enjoy warm with a big glass of milk, or some tea!

* These brownies are even more delicious the next day, if they last that long.


* My first bag of cocoa nibs were a gift from my foodie friend Louise, and came from a little chocolate shop in Pittsburg, PA called mon aimee chocolat.

No comments:

Post a Comment