August 15, 2007

Happy Birthday Julia Child!

A short little post honoring a very famous cookbook writer, tv chef, and a woman who made it okay to exercise the five-second rule publicly. I think my favorite aspect of Julia Child is that she reportedly did not know how to cook at all until she was in her 30s, and then went on to write the classic Mastering the Art of French Cooking when she was nearly 50. I find that so inspiring!

She found her passion for cooking later in life. So often, it can seem that if you haven't found your passion or your career or made your mark before you're 30, it's somehow too late. You're a failure if you start over. I love reminders like Julia Child that it's never too late to learn something new, change careers, discover new passions and talents, and begin again.

To read more about her, here's a link to her wikipedia page, with some biographical references at the bottom. And here's a link to her kitchen, which is housed at the Smithsonian.

I wanted to create some tiny cookbook earrings for the occasion, but am a little overwhelmed with the cupcake army currently marching half-finished across my worktable. Next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment